What is it about spring time that suddenly ticks in the house become active and plenty? There is a sudden degree of difficulty getting rid of them as they seem to be everywhere. That is because the warmth that the season brings is a joy to these creatures. They thrive in this kind of weather and you must do all you can to get rid of them before they cause you any trouble.
How you do away with these pests involve several methods, all of which you must do to ensure that you completely free your home of ticks and the health issues associated with them. There is your pet pooch to take care of, the linens, clothing and sheets, pieces of furniture and the house itself.
Getting Rid of Ticks in the House
Start with your pets
- Keep your pets in areas where it is easy to spot ticks if they must stay indoors. It is more ideal however if you can provide for them a safe place outside but keep it tick-free by treating it and cleaning it regularly.
- Use safe-on-pets anti-tick sprays, dips, powder or shampoos. Your local vet or pet shop may carry these products.
- When you treat your pets with anti-tick products, do so at the same time you clean and tick-treat your house and belongings.
Clean and treat your house
- You regularly clean your home but once in a while, spend one day to do a general, thorough cleaning. Vacuuming helps remove ticks in the house including their eggs. Cover everything from carpets to pillows to sofa to drawers and cabinets, etc. Don’t forget to include your car. Pay particular attention to nooks frequented by your pets.
- Wash every washable item not only linens, bed sheets, pillow cases and clothes in hot water. Follow with another hot treatment in the dryer.
- Get rid of items that are no longer in use and could possibly become a home for ticks where they can lay eggs.
- Treat areas that are prone to tick infestation with pesticide that is formulated to kill adult ticks and their eggs. Be sure to carefully read and follow instructions for safety reasons especially if you have children and pets at home.
In case that the number of ticks in the house is more than you can handle, consider the help of professional fumigators to treat your home. Weeks after your home is treated, continue vacuuming to ensure that all ticks in varying stage are completely gone.
Doing all the steps mentioned above is just the start of the continuing process of getting rid of ticks for good. You may have freed your home of ticks but you must also take certain measures to keep them from coming back.
- Ask your veterinarian about effective anti-tick products such as collars to keep the ticks off your pets. They are often the means that there are ticks in the house. Ticks attach themselves to dogs to feed and are then transported into the home.
- Maintain cleanliness and order inside and outside the home. Constant cleaning and vacuuming can prevent ticks from staying long enough to lay eggs and reproduce.
- Keep beddings, sofas, carpets, kitchen cabinets, cellar, attic, every nook and crevice where ticks could hide sanitary at all times.
With the steps shared above, you and your loved ones can enjoy the house with complete peace of mind. Not only is it clean and sanitary, it is free of ticks! Yes, it does entail some work but compared to having ticks in the house, the effort is sure worth it. Ticks can cause a lot of nuisance for the whole family so might as well keep the house tick-free and really call it home.