The CDC recently admitted that the number of people suffering from Lyme’s disease stemming from tick bites is a lot more than that officially reported. As a result, more and more pet owners and people living in tick infested areas are becoming aware about its symptoms. Pregnant women are naturally worried when they realize they might be having tick bite Lyme disease. This is mainly because of antibiotics which are the only line of treatment for it. Naturally, most mothers-to-be are wary of Doxycycline, Amoxycillin and other drugs commonly used for its treatment which are known to affect the fetus negatively.
So, are there ways of treating tick bite Lyme disease naturally? According to experts, the answer is yes. When caught early, Lyme disease can be effectively managed and cured using essential oils, homeopathy, lifestyle changes as well as certain botanicals. Even chronic sufferers of Lyme disease can benefit from such alternative therapies.
Are natural remedies effective in treating tick bite Lyme disease?
More and more physicians are now stating that antibiotics aren’t the only answer for treating Lyme’s disease. A scientific study has actually shown that antibiotics like doxycycline are often completely useless in treating Lyme’s disease due to the fact that it is caused by an intercellular bacterium called Borrelia burgdorferi.Thus, this pathogen enters inside our cells where antibiotics are unable to reach in order to kill it. On the other hand, many naturally occurring botanicals are more beneficial in treating and curing Lyme’s at the root level. Based on research done by experts in the complementary and alternative medicine fields, the International Lyme and Associated Diseases society has also published the following natural remedies and cures for Lyme disease:
- Acupuncture– This age old traditional Chinese therapy has shown promising results in getting rid of pain associated with Lyme’s disease symptoms.
- Herbs and plants– A category of plants termed as “Lyme killing plants” are also prescribed as alternative medicine for Lyme. These include samento, Banderol, Cat’s Claw and Japanese Knotweed or resveratrol. All of them can target Lyme’s disease at the cellular level to kill Borrelia burgdorferi
- Green tea- Herbal and green tea can also help boost immunity and strengthen body’s defenses against Lyme disease. The compounds contained in Green tea, Turmeric, Ginger and other herbal teas can help reduce oxidative stress and can also be used alongside conventional antibiotics to treat Lyme disease.
- Probiotic food– Probiotic foods including Kefir, Miso, sauerkraut and yogurts with live culture can help strengthen good bacteria which can then fight off pathogens.
- Exercise– Exercise can help the body throw out toxic waste in the form of sweat and release good hormones for boosting the body’s natural immunity. Lyme disease is known to make the sufferer feel extremely drained and tired; however, exercising during and after treatment can help relieve pains, aches and strengthen the body.
- Vitamins and minerals- Many doctors also recommend that the patient gets tested for deficiencies including zinc, iron and vitamin B12 deficiency as these can weaken the body further leading to chronic pains. Hence, overall diet must be improved and supplementation may be considered. High doses of vitamin C are also known to be effective in reducing inflammation which is characteristic of Lyme disease.
- Regular detoxification– Pregnant women must talk to their doctor prior to detox therapy. Detoxification includes juicing, fasting, chelation therapy or even Ayurvedic therapies like Vaman, Basti etc. These are not recommended for pregnant women but may be used by otherwise healthy patients who are experiencing lingering effects of Lyme’s disease.
Homeopathy for Lyme Disease
As part of natural treatment for Lyme disease, one might want to look into Homeopathic cures. This is because; homeopathic remedies are generally mild and especially suitable for pregnant and lactating mothers as get to the root cause of the disease without adverse side effects. Typically, and based on the patient’s complete medical history, remedies like Lyme Tick Nosode 30 C potency may be given in 3 doses repeated over 24 to 48 hour periods. Other remedies like Veratrum viride 200C, given stat and then in water every 24 hours for period of 3 days can also be used. Naturally, it is best to seek treatment from an experienced homeopath for treating early/chronic Lyme symptoms.
Essential Oils for Lyme Disease
Essential oils must be used with utmost care as these are serious medicines. Do consult a trained herbalist before taking these oils internally. Pregnant and lactating women must talk to their physician prior to using essential oils for treating Lyme disease.
Here are some oils that are generally well tolerated and can be used for treating symptoms of Lyme disease including respiratory issues, joint pain and general malaise:
- Frankincense, Cinnamon oil, Lemon grass oil, eucalyptus, rosemary and wild orange oils can be used daily for massage and even be applied on pulse points. Always perform a patch test for allergies, prior to use.
- Many supplements containing essential oils can be taken as per the advice of an herbalist. Cassia, Cinnamon, Lavender and Melaleuca can be taken internally as recommended by the therapist. The latter is an antibiotic that can penetrate the cells unlike the Doxycycline antibiotics to repair damaged cells and restore the DNA.
These are few natural remedies and cures for treating Lyme disease without antibiotics.